For many small businesses, one of the most confusing things about marketing is the jargon.When talking with marketing professionals and vendors, sometimes these words get tossed out without any definition. Here’s a quick list of some of the most common marketing jargon:
- Marketing Mix – The marketing activities that make up your marketing plan. For instance, e-mail marketing, pay-per-click advertising and promotional events.
- Target – The customers you are trying to reach with your marketing efforts (You’ve probably noticed that many marketing terms have militaristic origins. I think this is a terrible way to think about marketing, as I wrote in this article – “Marketing isn’t war on your customers“).
- Copy – The written content on a business’s website, blog, brochures, advertisements, etc.
- SEO – Search Engine Optimization. The ongoing process of making a website attractive to search engines like Google.
- SEM – Search Engine Marketing. This encompasses the marketing mix a business uses to market to users of search engines, both SEO and advertising.
- CPM – Cost Per Mille. In the advertising world, this is the cost per one thousand showings of your ad. Sometimes, it’s also referred to as Cost Per Impression.
- Impression – An impression is when your ad is visible to view. For instance, each time a banner ad loads on a web page it counts as an impression. But just because the ad is visible doesn’t guarantee a person is actually looking at it!
- PPC – Pay Per Click. This is the type of internet advertising made popular by Google and is used by all the search engines, along with Facebook. It means you pay for the advertising when someone clicks on your ad.
- CPC – Cost Per Click. How much each click costs in a PPC advertising campaign.
- Viral Marketing – Marketing efforts that are started by a business but grow and become controlled by groups of customers. For instance, you’ve probably heard of a video that has “gone viral.”
Have any other marketing jargon you’d like defined? Just post a comment, and I’ll be glad to help!
- Why Paid Search is a Good Marketing Investment Right Now Salesforce Research Reveals Social Advertising has High Competition, While Google...
- Are Your Google Ads Working, or Wasting You Money? “Search Terms” Show You What Customers Are Really Searching For...
- New Responsive Google Ads Don’t (Yet) Beat Human Intelligence Google recently released a new beta ad type for search,...
- Where Does Your Website Traffic Come From? (Hint: It’s Not Instagram) Google Drives 8 Times More Traffic than All Social Media...
- Google AdWords is Gone How Google Ads is Changing the Small Business Marketing Landscape...
Related posts brought to you by Yet Another Related Posts Plugin.