A few weeks ago, we answered the question Is Facebook Right for Marketing my Small Business? Today we shift focus to a different social media marketing platform, LinkedIn.
LinkedIn is a professional networking platform with social elements, like status updates, groups and those connection update emails I’m sure you have received in your inbox. These are free tools that can be used in small business marketing. In addition, LinkedIn also offers premium accounts and advertising options.
Before deciding to use the free tools or premium offerings, you should determine if LinkedIn marketing makes sense for your business.
When LinkedIn Marketing is Right for Your Business
- Your small business is B2B. In this case, you should have a LinkedIn marketing strategy. Marketing efforts should focus on where your customers are, and I can almost guarantee your B2B customers are on LinkedIn.
- You have a business brand. If your customers are businesspeople, LinkedIn is a great way to find them. Examples of ‘business brands’ include of professional development training or ergonomic office products.
- You frequently need to hire new employees. If you need to market your business to prospective employees, LinkedIn has amazing tools to do so.
- You are seeking investors for your business. It’s very likely potential investors are using LinkedIn, and you will want to build up your employees’ and brand’s credibility through LinkedIn.
When LinkedIn Marketing is Wrong for Your Business
If your business meets one of more of the following criteria, you can probably allocate your marketing resources elsewhere:
- Your customers are consumers.
- Your customers aren’t businesspeople.
- Your business is local. Contrast this with Facebook, where local businesses thrive. LinkedIn typically isn’t used for staying up-to-date with what’s happening at local businesses.
Even if you don’t use LinkedIn in your marketing plan, it’s a great resource for finding and researching employees and partners. Also, you may find benefit by connecting with groups of other businesses in similar industries. Have questions about LinkedIn marketing? Send me an email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- [VIDEO] 5 Tips for Marketing with Video Marketing with video makes a lot of sense for small...
- Why Have a Website When Your Customers are on Social Media? Some small businesses hope to save marketing budget by relying...
- How to Schedule Posts on Instagram from Your Computer (Not Your Phone) Marketing your small business on Instagram is critical to reach...
- [VIDEO] 5 Tips to Make Your Marketing Videos Sparkle Get longer video views and improve engagement when you add...
- The Key to Facebook Advertising is Understanding Your Customers In the United States, 68% of adults use Facebook, which...
Related posts brought to you by Yet Another Related Posts Plugin.