Except you might read my post now that I’ve included a shameless mention of Election Day.
When your customers are universally interested in an event or holiday, don’t change the subject. Work with it. Although cycles of celebration may not correspond with your business cycle, customers will disregard marketing communications that don’t fit with their interests or current needs.
Small business marketing requires strategic use of resources that earn a high level of engagement from customers. We can’t waste time and money on efforts that will be ignored.
Here are some ways I help my clients address the ebbs and flows of the calendar:
- One B2B client accepts that her clients’ attention is distracted during certain times of the year, including Independence Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas. We focus our marketing efforts on other times of year and don’t waste resources trying to “cut through the clutter.”
- Another B2B client tackles the New Year with challenges for his clients to plan for success in the coming months.
- To tie-in with Thanksgiving, I’m helping one veterinary client promote pet safety during the holiday, for instance with this Fido Friendly Thanksgiving Infographic.
- With another veterinary client, we typically run seasonally-themed Facebook photo contests for clients to brag about their pets. Last year, we sponsored a Winter Wonderland contest.
- A landscape services company knows that pre-Thanksgiving is a popular time for customers to install landscape lighting, so we run promotions during that period.
- This summer, another landscape services client earned customer attention when we suggested ways to create an herb container garden to enhance their outdoor kitchens and barbecues.
So, after you go vote and before the results start coming in, spend some time today considering how to make your marketing communications more seasonally relevant to your customers. It will certainly be more productive than nervously biting your nails as you wait to learn who our next President will be.
- The Business of Halloween This Third-Most Popular Holiday is Setting Record Sales of $8.4...
- Act from the Perspective of Your Customers Today, a client and I received a group text message...
- LinkedIn Publishing Platform Yields Lackluster Results LinkedIn is a critical social media tool for networking, while adding significant...
- Think Like a Minimalist to Get Your Marketing Message Across I’m helping a client design a consumer rewards program, with...
Related posts brought to you by Yet Another Related Posts Plugin.