Direct mail is expensive, and a large part of that expense is the growing cost of postage. But USPS offers a marketing program that significantly reduces postage costs called Every Door Direct Mail. In my experience, postage costs can be reduced as much as 40%.
Sounds too good to be true? For some brands and marketing strategies, it certainly is. Generally speaking, EDDM campaigns reduce costs, but often not enough to create a positive ROI. Here are my guidelines for when to consider an EDDM campaign.
When is EDDM Right for My Business?
EDDM could be a useful tool in your small business marketing plan if:
- There are specific neighborhoods or ZIP codes that contain high concentrations of your customers or prospects.
- Your product or service is something that almost everyone in a given mailing route could reasonably want or need.
- The lifetime value of your customer justifies the cost of printing + postage. Lifetime value includes both the initial purchase and subsequent purchases.
Tips for Increasing the Effectiveness of Your EDDM Campaign
If you decide to try out USPS’s EDDM, here are a few tips for success:
- Personalize the mailer for the neighborhood/ZIP code. EDDM is highly-targeted, so you may as well take the time to create specific messages for specific groups of customers.
- Consider when customers are most likely to purchase your product and service and time your mailer appropriately. For instance, a retailer who receives most of its sales in November and December may not want to send out a mailer during the slow season when demand is slack.
- Develop a compelling call-to-action. A campaign-specific call-to-action not only will increase the success of your mailer but will help you track that success, as well.
- Create a unique design that resonates with your brand. Using an unusual mailer shape or colors can help your piece stand out in a stack of mail. Just make sure the piece also communicates your marketing message clearly.
I’d love to hear from anyone who has tried EDDM, either with success or lackluster results. And just give me a call with questions– this USPS offering can be rather confusing to figure out!
- [VIDEO] 5 Tips for Marketing with Video Marketing with video makes a lot of sense for small...
- Bench Ads Don’t Work for Small Business Marketing Why “See… You Looked!” Isn’t a Good Argument Advertising is...
- A Marketing Calendar Makes Your Life Easier Marketing efforts are most successful when you have time to...
- This Hotel’s Marketing Campaign Went from Quirky to Creepy Real Fast Renaissance Hotels takes marketing inspiration from its name, seeking to...
- Google AdWords is Gone How Google Ads is Changing the Small Business Marketing Landscape...
Related posts brought to you by Yet Another Related Posts Plugin.