Posting a job opening for your small business on Facebook makes a lot of sense. It’s easy to do, and it’s free. Here’s an example of a job posting for my client TriState Water Works.
Benefits of Facebook Job Postings
As part of your recruitment strategy, posting your job openings on Facebook probably makes sense for your small business. Here are some of the benefits:
- Reach potential employees where they spend their time on social media
- Ask three personalized questions of each applicant
- Give applicants an easy way to apply. Simply click the button and answer the questions
- Conveniently evaluate applications through Facebook’s Manage Jobs’ tab
- Advertise job openings to Facebook users with relevant interests
Be Cautious When Advertising Jobs on Facebook
When advertising to customers, Facebook offers many options for customizing your audiences, like geography, gender, age and more. But when you advertise a job on Facebook, you need to follow federal and local laws. The U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission states on its website:
It is illegal for an employer to publish a job advertisement that shows a preference for or discourages someone from applying for a job because of his or her race, color, religion, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation, and pregnancy), national origin, age (40 or older), disability or genetic information.
For example, a help-wanted ad that seeks “females” or “recent college graduates” may discourage men and people over 40 from applying and may violate the law.
You may wish to consult your attorney before advertising job postings on Facebook, but don’t let that step keep you from trying out this innovative way to find new applicants.