Google Drives 8 Times More Traffic than All Social Media Combined
In a study of 3.25 billion website visits, Kyle Byers of GrowthBadger uncovered some striking results. Overall, Google search drives 60.68% of website traffic.
When you break down the data by industry, you see that Google search drives a plurality of traffic to all websites. (Although, bravo to Real Estate for having such impressive Direct traffic. This industry has done an exceptional job of influencing consumers to conduct search for property on their websites instead of through Google).
In a nutshell, your business today is as dependent on Google search as ever. But Google is also making it more difficult to get a click from search: less than half of Google searches now result in a click. Google is trying to answer search questions without users ever having to click away from the platform. For instance, all of these questions are answered directly on the Google search results page, without ever requiring a click:
- What time is it in New Delhi?
- What is Eastern equine encephalitis?
- What’s the definition of “coruscant?”
- Where’s the nearest bakery?
If you find your industry in the chart below, know how important Google search is to your business. But don’t rely on Google alone– diversify your marketing efforts to drive more direct traffic to your website independent from Google and social media.
What Does this Have to Do with Instagram?
Instagram drives just 0.08% of website traffic. That’s not surprising, since the platform only allows one live link, located in your account profile. Any Instagram marketing campaign with the goal of driving website traffic (or online sales) will have trouble being successful. You don’t need to abandon the platform, but understand what it’s good for: building brand awareness and followers. But carefully watch the ROI of Instagram campaigns to avoid wasting resources.
- New Research Shows Facebook is Still the Most Important Social Platform for Driving Website Traffic Facebook Drives 65.36% of All Social Media-Sourced Website Traffic, but...
- Why Have a Website When Your Customers are on Social Media? Some small businesses hope to save marketing budget by relying...
- 3 Reasons Why Your Business Should Have a Blog, Even in a Social Media Era Some businesses seem to be giving up on creating and...
- U Got the Look: How Small Businesses Can Use Native Advertising for Instagram Success Promotional Instagram posts that mimic posts made by individual Instagram...
- How to Schedule Posts on Instagram from Your Computer (Not Your Phone) Marketing your small business on Instagram is critical to reach...
Related posts brought to you by Yet Another Related Posts Plugin.